Reading Borough Severe Weather Update – 10 Jan 10
The day seems to have passed without further heavy snow fall in Reading. There was a heavy flurry this afternoon but it only lasted a few minutes. There has been a slight thaw today and in my road I and several neighbours were out clearing more of the road in front of our houses. The Met Office is not suggesting any further heavy falls overnight, so there is the real chance of side roads beginning to thaw further tomorrow.
I am pleased that after some lobbying on my part, bus services today resumed throughout Caversham after the premier bus routes were cleared by the Council. The 22 and the 23/24 are now running almost normal services once again.
The Council issued the following severe weather warning today:
Severe Weather Update – 11 January 14.30
The weather situation seems to be improving – the latest MET Office forecast – http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/se/reading_forecast_weather.html
Highways and Transport
- Highways staff worked in the town centre yesterday manually clearing walkways and JCB’s and other vehicles are still being deployed to clear bus routes where possible.
- Reading Buses are getting back to normal check update http://www.reading-buses.co.uk
Waste and recycling
- The Bin collections, the situation will be assessed tomorrow
- The Household Waste Recycling Centre has reopened
- Reading’s secondary schools are aiming to open on Monday (January 11) for students who are due to take modular GCSE, A Level and A/S Level exams next week and we will be supporting the schools by are clearing pedestrian access around the schools.
- Decisions will be made by individual schools as to whether they will open on Monday.
Housing and Community Care
- Over the weekend Housing and Community Care Staff have been supported by teams from other directorates, many using their own vehicles, in the delivery of Meals on Wheels and shopping trips to ensure service users have essential provisions.
- More deliveries have taken place to Sheltered Housing over the weekend
- The Emergency Operations Centre has been open and dealing with issues as there are reported (9am – 5pm Saturday and Sunday)
- An Emergency Planning conference call will take place tonight
- Emergency Planning Meeting will take place at 10.30am and 3pm on Monday